Saturday, October 16, 2010

Flying by....

This semester is flying by....and I mean FLYING!  Before we know it, it will be thanksgiving break and then BAM!.... The semester will be over.  Crazy.  But, I love my school and the opportunities I get to take advantage of because of it.  

Friday I was super excited to attend a symposium on the Chinatown Renewal Project.  I was able to meet Dr. Jack Tchen, co-founder of the Museum of Chinese in America in New York City.  (Also known as MOCA).  He shared pictures of the museum and it looks AMAZING, and I hope one day I can visit it.  There were also other experts in the museum/art fields that game presentations that were really inspiring for our project locally.

The Chinatown Renewal Project is a project that involves revitalizing Salinas' Chinatown and collecting information from the Asian community, for a future museum/cultural center.  My oral history class is conducting interviews for the project.  It's super exciting to be a part of something that I know will live on for many years to come.  My interview takes place tomorrow at the Buddhist Temple in Salinas, so that will be very exciting.  
I am proud that my school is the only public university in California to require service learning (as a graduation requirement).  Instead of sitting in a classroom all day we get to go out and do things within the community and really make a difference.  College isn't just about being book smart; it should be a time where you learn about being able to work with people and get the job done, and I think that this school really allows you to do just that.  

On a side note, Caitlin had an excellent day at swimming today and jumped in....well kinda...but nonetheless I am proud of her.  She's really pushing herself out of her comfort zone.  I was so proud of her that I treated her to lunch on the wharf, just the two of us.  Good times indeed! :D 

Busy, busy times lie ahead for me but I am looking forward to the journey! 

1 comment:

Back in Action...

Well after many trials and turbulations I have managed to remember my password and can now access my blog again! Yay!!!   I have begun the...